Friday, November 05, 2004

Bush Wins?!?

So the funniest thing i've heard in the last two days - other than the
regular nick nopulos commentary, has to have been the European reaction
to this election. First, their abject confusion at the Electoral College
(which after i explained, caused some city people to be like "Why would
the farmers get to choose president?"). Then, today, the shock of
bush's victory ("if you told me four months ago that bush would win, i
would not believe it") and their confusion at american voting ("Why do
americans vote for bush when they know europe does not like him") to
which i responded - Do you like it when americans tell you what to do?
Then why do you think americans would like it if europeans told them
what to do? Good times.
I seem also to have firmed up an image as "The American" in most of my
classes, as even my professors are looking for comment from me. Which
prings me to another point: I came to france to broaden my perspective,
and see how business and life is lived elsewhere. And, I have to say,
that I really enjoy my professors, because they are not afraid to say
why and when american business or culture is screwed up. And because of
the international make-up of the teachers, they're also not afraid to
say when france or europe have screwed up rules. Although at first, i
was feeling quite defensive about american business - "You think we're
bad? Your banks are closed from 11:30 to 1!" - i'm coming to appreciate
their perspective and points of view - and can see places where america
can and should improve.
But in matters of politics, I'm as convinced as ever that our
unilateralism, while unfortunate, may be our only option. I don't know
if you've been following, but the EU confirmation hearings have been a
disaster, with these countries just plotting against each other to
bring down each other's nominees. There is no "One Europe" - and when
Bush can recruit GB, Spain, Italy, and yes, Poland to our causes, then
it's okay that france and germany are left out - it's not like it's one
country or anything.
Anyway that's all.
Until later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home