Saturday, November 13, 2004

My First European Football Game

So it's a little cold in Marseille right now - the wind is whipping up
something fierce. But, being of hardy chicago stock, i put on my hat
(don't have the same coverage there as i did in my youth) and went off
to Stade Velodrome to see the ever-mighty Olympique Marseille take on
Strasbourg. It was a lot of fun. When OM scored a goal, fans would set
off flares in the stands. Although, i was suprised at how rudimentary
the scoreboard and advertising int he stadium was. No game clock, no
video replays, just a board with the score and the time - it was like
old soldier field. And, there was no ads in the stadium, leave the ones
that ring the pitch. The concourse, the overhangs - nothing. Crazy. OM
won, which was great, and we hit up a kebab stand later, which was
almost better (okay, it was). All in all, similar to a cubs game, but
without the beer vendors (another thing - no beer or concessions! Even
knock-off t-shirt vendors were non-existent). I think i prefer the
cubs, but OM is my new football team. Allez!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what your saying about the stadium and the lack of advertising outlets. I was just back in Marseille at the end of January and loved the fact that i got to attend a match. To my surprise they have now installed two huge television screens in the corner of the stadium that of course allow for revenues to be won from advertising. Was cool to be able to see replays and how close each side came to scoring on several occasions. The French being ones to constantly criticize and agree to disagree didnt seem to like the idea of televisions in teh stadium (at least the people in front of me) I thought its brilliant
Jonah
Allez OM!!!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home